Lock Poker Banner

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Weekly Interview Series: Jeff "hurricanejeff" Romano


If you like my blog please click the BlogTopList vote button to the right. This will give my blog a better ranking & help increase traffic to my blog. Thanks.

To signup to play at Lock Poker:
1. Clear cookies & internet history
2. Either click the banner above or 1 of the following links:
After signing up please make sure jhub3000@hotmail.com is listed as a safe sender in your email. You can also email me with any questions. Before you begin playing on Lock, or even if you already do play on there, you will probably want to read this post about optimizing the software: http://jhubpoker.blogspot.com/2011/06/making-most-out-of-lock-pokers-software.html


For daily updates & other ramblings please follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/jhubpoker


Please like my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jared-Hubbard-Poker/221586851240049

Fellow Lock Pro Jeff "hurricanejeff" Romano is my next interviewee for my new weekly interview series.  You can read the interview below.

How did you get started in poker?  How old were you?  What did you play?  How did you progress through the stakes and different games?
 I started playing in college (UMass Amherst), we had some really good players.  The game was usually just $1 $2 no limit but the players were some of the highest caliber.  A lot of the guys were high stakes online players even playing up to $25 $50 No Limit on pokerstars, so it was a great way to learn from them.  I used to crush that game and then deposit it all online and lose it, or spend the rest I made on beer.  I was 18 at the time and pretty much just degened my way up stakes.
What has worked best for you over the years in regards to improving your game?
 Learning from past mistakes, and donating to better players.  Losing is a huge part of the game, and probably the fastest way to learn.  I used to watch the WSOP on t.v. but I think that made me worse.
How old are you now?
 26
Jeff doing a little wine tasting in France for the Lock Pro retreat:

How many tables do you usually play online?
 I play a lot of different types of games, but when I play sit n goes I try to get as many games going as possible up to 30.
How many hours per week do you usually play?  How many total hours a week do you usually spend on poker-related activities?
 Well it’s funny because I put in my highest volume last month and lost the most I’ve ever lost.  I was playing 70 hours a week, which is way above my normal 30.
Over the years you have played a lot of 6 man SNGs, HU SNGs, DONs, & MTTs.  What’s your current mix of games like and what do you focus on the most?
 I’ve played everything.  I break even at just about every game except for MTTs which I crush.  However, playing 15+ tables of sit n goes rakes a lot of money, and breaking even is very profitable. 
What is your favorite game to play?
 2-7 lowball with bigdogpocket5s
What kind of a computer setup do you have for playing?  Do you use any poker software?
 Laptop and 27inch monitor…HEM2
What are your short term & long term poker goals?
 Break even for life.  I don’t plan on playing poker for a very long time.  It would obviously be awesome to win a WSOP bracelet or whatever, but it just doesn’t matter to me.  I get into these arguments on the felt with players, they all say I’m terrible at poker and that I’m a rakeback whore.  Then I look them up in the forums and it turns out they are backed to play all of their games…well good one guys.  They don’t understand that playin 20 tables at break even poker isn’t easy, but its very profitable.  Last month I raked about $9,000…how many players are capable of that?
Do you plan on getting into any other games in the future?
 Yeah I plan on getting into “Game of Thrones” season 2 coming out in April.
At this point in your career does poker feel more like a hobby or a job?  Do you still enjoy the game as much as you used to?
 A job right now, I hate playing.  Well actually I hate grinding, I love getting deep in a MTT.  But playing in June at the WSOP is extremely fun.  So I look forward to that every single year and it gets me through the online grind.
How long do you plan on playing poker professionally?
 I will be applying to grad school in the fall, hopefully able to buy my way into Harvard. I’ll probably play throughout my educational career, and then try to open a business of sorts. 
If you weren’t playing poker for a living what would you be doing as a career?
 Working for a startup company in Boston.
How long have you been a Lock pro and how has your experience at Lock been so far?
 Well, since the first day the site opened.  I was one of the sites very first sign ups, legend status I think.  I hated playing for the site while they were on cake, but that’s because I hated cake.  
What do you like to do in your spare time besides poker?
 Eating, cooking and drinking.  I’ve thought about going to culinary school many times, you can impress just about anyone on this earth with good cooking, it’s a timeless skill.
What are your favorite movies and TV shows?  Who are your favorite bands/musical artists?
 Clint Eastwood and older Nick Cage movies are great, and probably my “go to’s” when there is nothing else on.  I like a ton of music but despise dub step, I think its trash and I don’t care if it’s the future of music.


Thanks for taking the time to do this & good luck at the tables.

You can sign up for Lock Poker here http://download.lockpoker.com/jaredhubbard for a 150% deposit bonus and VIP benefits (http://jaredhubbard.com/lock%20vip.htm)
In case you missed the past weekly interviews, here they are:

No comments:

Post a Comment