Lock Poker Banner

Friday, December 30, 2011

December Results & 2012 Goals


If you like my blog please click the BlogTopList vote button to the right. This will give my blog a better ranking & help increase traffic to my blog. Thanks.

To signup to play at Lock Poker:
1. Clear cookies & internet history
2. Either click the banner above or 1 of the following links:
http://refer.lockpoker.com/jaredhubbard
http://download.lockpoker.com/jaredhubbard
After signing up please make sure jhub3000@hotmail.com is listed as a safe sender in your email. You can also email me with any questions. Before you begin playing on Lock, or even if you already do play on there, you will probably want to read this post about optimizing the software: http://jhubpoker.blogspot.com/2011/06/making-most-out-of-lock-pokers-software.html


For daily updates & other ramblings please follow me on twitter http://twitter.com/#!/jhubpoker


Please like my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jared-Hubbard-Poker/221586851240049

I didn't go into December with the goal of maximizing my poker profit.  I was more concerned with making sure I was ready for 2012.  I spent much of the month experimenting with different #s of tables, and testing my edge against regs who I previously had determined weren't worth playing.  I think that's important to do every once in a while.  As you improve as a player you might be able to gain a big enough edge on regs who you previously couldn't have.  If all else fails, the tough competition will likely improve you as a player.  I also started sitting some regs I previously didn't sit because I had been friendly with them.  Some were cool about it, while 1 reg was a complete douche about it.  He clearly has entitlement issues.  You aren't entitled to not be sat by other regs just because you win bumhunting while 1 tabling or because you talk to me on AIM.  Hehasrisen put it perfectly.  He said "if I can't hold my own against another reg that's my problem, not there's."  Well put sir.  I couldn't agree more.  That said, despite being down money pre rakeback for most of the month and going into my last playing day of the month, I still managed to profit almost $7,400 pre rakeback in a little over 80 hours of playing.

I also spent plenty of time studying.  Aside from the normal studying I do, HokieGreg and I started meeting weekly to review each others hand histories and discuss strategy.  This should be another good way to improve and stay sharp.

It's hard to catch everyone's tweets, especially when having to sort through a bunch of reply tweets that don't concern you.  Here's some of my random tweets from December, excluding daily updates and most replies.  It got pretty long so if I do this in the future maybe I will narrow them down more.

retweet: @voss1313:
Might be moving to the UK: highstakesdb.com/2623-facebook-… Who wouldn't want to play poker vs. the same people who play farmville?

retweet: @PHMERC
oh yea and it's double points day @lockpoker where you can play with superstars like @jhubpoker

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
I like when people tweet that I unfollowed them. Am I supposed to feel bad?

retweet: @K_Wer18
Kevin Werlinger
Tebow wills his defense into a td! #thisguysgood

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
@King_Of_Pckt_Ks lol so if we go 5 & 11 players are gonna say "im gonna sign w vikes. They are a winner (in reply to: @King_Of_Pckt_Ks
W. Mitchell McCarthy
@jhubpoker what if harvin doesn't want to resign with Vikings cause they can't win...also who else is gunna wanna sign with the Vikings in reply to: @jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
@King_Of_Pckt_Ks whats point in vikes winning anyway? B really good or really bad & good high draft pick)

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
...@jaredtendler you should coach Lebron James

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
What happened to rock & rap? New Rock N Roll doesn't exist & new rap gets worse every month. Bring back the good stuff.

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Jerry Sandusky's wife: "I still believe in my husband's innocence"...seriously GTFO #PennState #scandal #scumbag

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
If Lakers get CP3 & D Howard they still won't get past TWolves in the West...K Love, D Williams, Rubio < Kobe, CP3, Dwight
8 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Matt Prater says "58 yards for the tie? No problem" Wow He prolly couldn't have made it w/o Tebow's ispiration #NFL
11 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
ESPN: "MNF, IT'S A GOOD ONE! Rams & Seahawks." Stop it...u aren't fooling anybody #ESPN #NFL #football #MNF #seahawks
12 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Xmas shopping, hate how every store asks if u want 2 signup 4 their credit card & save 10% on your purchase #xmas #christmas
14 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Then they look at you like you are nuts when you say no #xmas #christmas # shopping
14 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
saw CP3 got traded 2 clippers, i like it, should b fun 2 watch him & griffin 2gether & I didn't want 2 see NY or LAL get him
14 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
some pretty good 1s on there RT @MattStoutPoker Here they are...happyplace's 50 funniest tweets of 2011. happyplace.com/12867/the-50-f…
17 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Chiefs upset Packers! Any other team & I am prolly rooting 4 a perfect season, but not the Packers...Colts won too #NFL
18 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
All I can say is wow to how they left this season of dexter hanging, can't wait 4 next season, best show on TV #dexter
18 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Love how DMV operates like it's 1970: cash or check only, I'm not Randy Moss & I'm not 80 yrs old #stopit
19 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
eating the worst wrapped chipotle burrito I have ever seen, may as well have given me a salad, time 4 a fork #rookies
19 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Guess my xmas shopping looked suspicious, card got declined & got a call from wells fargo fraud protection, ok then
19 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
The gender of the worker who just helped me at walgreens is still a mystery 2 me, reminded me of the movie It's Pat
19 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
The guy behind me smelled like the inside of a snoop dogg concert & looked even more confused than I was
19 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
in honor of the DMV policies: youtube.com/watch?v=07G23z… & youtube.com/watch?v=f0fS8x… #classics

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
apparently this scumbag is at it again: jhubpoker.blogspot.com/2011/10/michel… telling people I'm coaching him but I hit my xfer limit #poker
21 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
jstncredible apologized 4 declining after I sat him & didnt want me 2 think he hit & run, good ex of how 2 act when u get sat
21 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
although apologogy was lol not needed, nice kid...most regs just sit & bitch & try to convince u there's no edge
21 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
only time I actually accuse somebody of a hit & run is when I'm trying 2 bait them into rematching #poker
21 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Cereus players to be repaid 15 to 20 cents on the dollar? pocketfives.com/articles/absol… #poker #BlackFriday
21 Dec via web

retweet: @HokieGregLock
HokieGregLock
I don't always wear a baller suit, but when I do ... it's for my Twitter background pic. Stay fresh my friends.
22 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
I just declined a MONSTER fish @lockpoker after playing 28 games, I'm f'n starving #poker
22 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
I have no motivation 2 play fish right now...would rather play regs rest of the year #poker
22 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
I'd like to thank the Indianapolis Colts for improving the Vikings chances of getting the #1 pick tonight #NFL #SuckForLuck
22 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
If I didn't have @lockpoker pro obligations I'd take the rest of the year off. I really have no motivation to grind. #poker
22 Dec via web

@HokieGregLock
HokieGregLock
I'm rocking a cardigan tonight. Hide the women and children.
22 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
such an epic follow: @NotDosEquisMan
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Nevada to offer intrastate poker: legalpokersites.com/blog/nevada-pa… hopefully this paves the way for federal regulation #poker
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Love the people thinking God has something to do w/ Tebow's success #NFL #TimTebow #Tebow #TebowMania #football
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
yep God is the reason 4 Tebow's wins...he said screw these starving children in Africa, let's get Tebow some wins baby! #NFL
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Valued CakePoker Player, Please be advised that your cashout request has now begun processing and should be completed within 48-72 hours.
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
Cake still processes cashouts? WTF...I think I requested that check in the summer #poker
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
I'm just glad that I'm a "Valued CakePoker Player" who doesn't play on their site #poker
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
just requested a check from Cake for my remaining balance, should make for a nice 4th of July present when it arrived #poker
23 Dec via web

retweet: @voss1313
Andrew Voshage
How can someone really enjoy having the key clicks on their phone. Sorry I don't like listening to you on a type writer.
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
#FF @jhubpoker This tweet is dedicated to @Champ1192 (in reply to: @Champ1192 How douchey is it to include yourself on your #FF list?)
23 Dec via web

retweet: @604Derek
Derek Lee
@cponder7 will make a great backup QB to Andrew Luck. #NFL. #Vikings
23 Dec via Twitter for BlackBerry®

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
chat box: imwitchya, as a Christmas present I'm not going to sit u on Christmas, because I won't b playing #poker #HUSNG #SNG
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
art of 4 barreling: when u open 4 lobbies a reg is registered in & then resgiter 4 each quickly b4 they can unregister #poker
23 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
feelow @lockpoker Elite Pro @MattStoutPoker & I r quoted in this article: legalpokersites.com/blog/poker-ind… #poker
24 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
just got a very generous Xmas bonus from @lockpoker owner Jennifer Larson, CEO of the year! Thanks for the great year!
25 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
DOJ: wire act doesn't apply to online poker: pocketfives.com/articles/depar… another step in the right direction 4 regulated #poker
25 Dec via web

@bmifsud
Brandon Mifsud
Lmao RT @SpikeLee: Hopefully KG Will Respect The Birth Of Jesus Today And Refrain From Sprewing Profanities In My Direction.
25 Dec via Echofon

@bmifsud
Brandon Mifsud
This is how you text your dad merry Christmas lockerz.com/s/168140669

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
These people that participate in what would u do 4 a klondike bar at wolves games r desperate 4 attention #stopit
26 Dec via Twitter for Android

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
props 2 the #alcodroid market.android.com/details?id=org… 4 helping me maximize my fun & get me home safely 2night
26 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
My lab doesn't always ride with me, but when he does, he rides shotgun with the seat warmers on #stud
29 Dec via web

@jhubpoker
Jared Hubbard
My lab doesn't always hump other dogs, but when he does, it's uncontrollable #PetResortReportCard
29 Dec via web



2012 Goals
-spend at least 1,760 hours playing or studying poker
-get to 160 lbs or less
-get together with high school/college friends more often 

As far as the first goal, the reason I picked 1,760 hours is it's 44 40 hour weeks.  That leaves 8 weeks completely free for vacations and free time, and also leaves plenty of free time during your work weeks.  As far as life balance, I think it's really probably about the optimal # of hours to spend on poker-related activities.  Throughout my 5 years as a professional poker player, I think I've had some years where I spent too much time on poker, and other years where I didn't spend enough time on poker.  I've always kept track of my hours played at the table, but I've never really kept track of my hours spent studying.  In 2012 I'd like to keep track of this is an excel chart.  In headsup sometimes there's periods where you are registered for a bunch of games but don't have any tables running because nobody will sit you and there aren't any regs on that are worth sitting.  Anytime I am registered for a game I will count that as poker-related time.  However, I've been pretty efficient with my time lately when I'm waiting for games anyway.  I'm usually studying.  If I'm not studying I'm usually answering emails, typing blogs, replying to tweets, or doing some other type of activity that is likely related to poker.  Most emails or tweets I reply to are either part of effort to promote myself as a poker player or give my referrals good service.  Regardless, it's a poker related activity.  I try not to spend too much time on skype or AIM, because it can be so counter-productive.  

I'm currently 5'7" & 193 lbs with a resting heart rate of 71.  I generally have very intense workouts from January to May and am used to losing 15-25 lbs in the new year.  Even when I was in the best shape of my life I would gain 25-30 lbs in the fall and winter when I was muscle building.  I would then worry about shedding the fat that came with it.  Parts of the rest of the year the last few years I've been doing quicker workouts for maintenance with some intense periods mixed in.  The last 2 summers I've been in pretty good shape at the beginning of the summer with a weight around 167-170lbs.  However, I want to still be in really good shape when I inevitably go through those stretches where I put on some pounds.  For example, every year we take a 1 week camping trip with my wife's family in the summer.  We eat very unhealthy and don't exercise the whole week.  It's pretty standard to gain 10 pounds during this trip, because it's such a shock to my body.  I'll probably try to eat a little better on the trip this year, but I don't see myself getting up early enough to take a run or anything, and our days & nights are usually pretty busy.  We also eat pretty unhealthy in the summers period.  Then football season begins, which isn't the healthiest time of the year either.  Basically any vacation I take is a standard 5-10lb gainer.  It's usually not too tough to lose that weight back, but in each of the last 2 years I have gotten a pinched nerve where I needed to rest from working out for a couple months in order for it to get better.  I think this is poker related so I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen again in the future, and then I'll end up getting carpal tunnel.  These pinched nerves always come at the worst time, when I just got back from vacation and have extra weight on.  I also have the appetite of an NFL linemen despite being 5'7".  For example, I'm one of only 2 people to complete the Chula Chimi Challenge (man vs food type thing) at my brother's Mexican restaurant.  My metabolism will also be slowing down, and already has.  I've come to the conclusion that I need to just do intense workouts year round as long as I have the time.  I also need to do a better job of just staying in shape all year for a couple reasons.  For one, I already talked about the metabolism thing.  As my metabolism slows it's going to get tougher & tougher to shed off extra weight in the winter/spring.  Second off, if we start having kids in the coming years I might not have the time to do really intense workouts 5-6 days a week.  I might have to resort to 15 minute workouts during certain times.  I'd rather those times not happen when I'm out of shape.  The goal is really more about how I feel and look than the actual weight, but I figure 160 lbs is a good guess as to where I want to be.  When I was around 20 or 21 and in the best shape of my life I weighed between 150 & 160 lbs.  Back then I just designed my own workouts, but to do this correctly it takes a good amount of time, and time is money.  That's why I started to have personal trainers develop programs for me, and now just do home workout programs.  Working out at home is great because it saves me the drive and I know I won't have to wait for certain weights or machines.

Right now I'm doing the Surpreme 90 Day System: http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-90-Day-System/dp/B004S2YN5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325005376&sr=8-1.  I should be done with that in late February and then I will begin P90x 2: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x2-workout-the-next-p90x.do.  After that I plan on doing Insanity: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do & then P90x: http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/p90x.do.  After that I'll probably continue with some sort of combo between these and other workout programs.  I've done P90x a couple times but I haven't done any of these other programs yet.  I've had some pretty intense workouts developed by personal trainers but P90x tops them all.  If you're skinny or your only goal is gaining strength then these programs probably aren't for you.  However, I like to gain strength and have good overall fitness.  I think most men put too much focus on only gaining strength anyway, but I won't go into a tangent on that.

We had a great group of high school and college friends.  The problem is that as the years go by people move to different areas and start having kids.  It gets harder and harder to get people together.  However, we still have a pretty good group of friends that are all  within about an hour of each other.  I don't think it's unreasonable to try to meet up once a month.  Obviously not everyone will make it everytime, but I think organizing more parties or just meeting up at a central locations for dinner and/or drinks is a pretty easy step.  People just get too lazy to organize something like this.  I'd like to take the steps to get everyone together more often.

I will likely post a 2011 year in review entry sometime in the next couple of days.  I wasn't able to get a weekly interview done this week because of the holidays but am working on an interview with Matt Stout so I will hopefully have that out sometime next week as well.

Results:

December 2011:
80.3 hrs played
Pre Rakeback SNG Profit: $7,366.30

I hope everybody is enjoying the holidays.  Have a Happy New Year!


Thanks & GL,
Jared

http://www.jaredhubbard.com/
http://twitter.com/jhubpoker
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jared-Hubbard-Poker/221586851240049
http://jhubpoker.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment